18 Oct IMSA NAEC 2019 CHAMPIONS!
IMSA – 12 & 13 OCTOBER 2019 / ROAD ATLANTA
IMSA NAEC 2019 CHAMPIONS !
Gabriel Aubry rejoined the PR1 Motorsport – Mathiassen team last weekend at the Road Atlanta circuit in the USA for the final of the IMSA WEATHER TECH SPORTSCAR championship, for the legendary MOTUL PETIT LE MANS event. In this last round of his American season, Gabriel and his teammates took home the title of Champion halfway through the 10 hour race.
After running at a good pace in the free practice sessions, where Gabriel set the best times in each of the four sessions, the team set second position in qualifying and led the race at the head of the LMP2 class, before being forced to retire with a gearbox issue. PR1 Motorsport Mathiassen also took home the 2019 LMP2 IMSA NAEC Champion title.
GABRIEL AUBRY – DRIVER PR1 MOTORSPORT MATHIASSEN :
“I’m glad to have contributed to PR1 Motorsport – Mathiassen’s Champion title, and I’m especially very happy with this first experience in the USA in LMP2. Legendary tracks, American shows, the level of the field…and great memories! I want to thank my partners, especially MEP, for their support. Without them, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Now, I’m off to look for a seat to repeat my USA experience, and heading to Shanghai and Bahrein for the next rounds of the FIA WEC season… The end of the season is going to be thrilling!”
DETAILS OF THE RACE :
- Free practice : best time in all four sessions, without knowing the track beforehand
- Qualifying practice : 2nd time for the team
- During the race, Matthew took the start / Very quick track / A lot of pace
- After 40 minutes, their main rival on track – the nr #38 – had an incident on track and had to retire, leaving the field free for the crew of Aubry/Mc Murry/Kellett.
- The rest of the race ran smoothly
- Gabriel drove two 1h30 stints.
- Two safety cars during these two stints
- Halfway through the race, the car came back to the pits for a gearbox problem / Impossible to rejoin, Retired
Gabi Aubry // © Photos // Jamey Price